Career Center hosts 50+ employers at inaugural fall fair

For most, it may not look like the economy is turning around. Jobless claims have generally been lower, according to Reuters, pointing to fewer layoffs, though stagnant inflation is quelling growth. While still relatively high, unemployment dropped to 7.2 percent in September but job growth has been meager—and that may be an overstatement.

So, why, you ask, should students feel any incentive to jump into this dismal market? (Besides, of course, that our debt isn’t just going to pay itself off…) The reality is that employers are still looking for motivated, degree-holding young people—all the better if they’ve proven their worth through internships and extracurricular employment.

Luckily for us, it’s only November—and on Wednesday, the Career Center will hold its first fall Career Fair, open to undergrads, graduate students and alumni, from 4-7 p.m. in Reitz Arena.

“I think having a fair in the fall is definitely beneficial for seniors who want to be proactive,” said Emily Coleman, class of 2014. “I think it’s also nice for underclassmen to see what employers are looking for and what the application process might look like so that they can prepare adequately.”

Many upperclassmen may recall that the career fair is typically held during the day, but based on student recommendation, this year’s time adjustment should further cater to students’ class schedules and to alumni who may be working.

“As far as we know, it didn’t impact the employers who were able to come,” said Jennifer Rowley, associate director of employer relations at The Career Center, though she is looking forward to receiving feedback about these changes.

Student attendees are usually between 250-300, and the number of employers has increased each year—with over 50 local and international recruiters registered this fall. However, Rowley said, the government partial shutdown likely limited the number of government agencies in attendance.

Sophomore Evan Rajchel plans to attend the fair this year, even if just to gather information and network with a variety of companies. “I think it is beneficial to get an early start,” he said, in preparing to enter the job market and anticipating what the economy will be like once he graduates.

“All students, all class years and all majors should attend,” said Rowley. For a list of registered employers and the specific majors they are recruiting, you can visit HireLOYOLA.

Junior Jamie Grasing, quantitative economics and French double major, admits that mostly business majors attend Loyola’s career fairs, but students of other disciplines could benefit as well. “Those majors are definitely represented, even if it’s not the first thing everyone thinks about,” he said.

TJ Scalfaro, a 2013 alumnus majoring in business administration with a concentration in marketing, secured an internship with Black & Decker through one of Loyola’s career fairs. Most people think it’s a waste of time unless you’re a business major, he said, but “whether you get a job out of it or not, or are interested in the companies there or not, it’s still good experience to go dish out your résumé and talk to people. It’s all about networking.”

Other services offered by The Career Center include résumé critiques, personality tests, cover letter writing sessions, practice interviews and one-on-one career advising. So, if you’re not ready to suit up on Wednesday—and even if you’re a disgruntled humanities major—there are resources available for those who choose to take advantage of them. The next fair will be from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Feb. 3, 2014.