Reaction to Ben Carson’s comment against a Muslim U.S. President

Republican presidential candidate Dr. Ben Carson claims that he would not support a Muslim president of the United States.

On September 20, NBC’s “Meet the Press” host, Chuck Todd, asked Carson if he believes that Islam is consistent with the Constitution. He replied, “No, I don’t… I do not. I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.”

Carson received a great deal of backlash to this, including reproach from the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

“His views are inconsistent with the United States Constitution,” stated executive director Nihad Awad, referring to the section that prohibits a religious test for public office. “We ask Dr. Ben Carson to withdraw…because he’s unfit to lead.” On behalf of the Council, Awad also called on the nation’s political leaders across the political spectrum to reject Carson’ unconstitutional statement.

The Baltimore Sun published a letter from Aroosa Bhatti, a 15-year-old Muslim student at Reservoir High School, which detailed her disappointment in Carson’s disrespect for her faith. As a child, she spent many days as a patient at Johns Hopkins Hospital, admiring his work as a neurosurgeon. She stated that she was let down by Carson’s recent comment.

In contrast to Carson’s belief that Islam is inconsistent with the values of America, Bhatti cited the Holy Quran: “O mankind, We have created you from a male and a female; and We have made you tribes and sub-tribes that you may know one another. Verily, the most honorable amongst you in the sight of God, is he who is the most righteous among you.” She ended her letter with the explanation, “This verse means that all men are created equal. Indeed, being Muslim is consistent with the Constitution.”

Carson’s statement has also been met with condemnation from other religious groups, such as the Baltimore Jewish Council. They expressed their disappointment with the “intolerant” perspective towards the Muslim community and his misrepresentation of the founding values of the United States.

However, on September 21 during Fox News’ “Hannity,” host Sean Hannity clarified Carson’s view of the Muslim community and values by asking, “For example, if there was a moderate Muslim that denounced Sharia, that denounced radical Islamists, that denounced quotes in the Quran about killing the infidels or not taking Christians and Jews for your friends, that denounced the controversial life of Mohammed, you would be open to that Muslim running for president?”

Carson agreed, claiming that he would only oppose a radical Islamist U.S. president or one who supports government run by the Sharia law, because that contrasts the principles of the Constitution and the U.S. We will have to see how Carson’s topic on this hot-button issue will affect his polling numbers moving forward.
The Baltimore Sun, Huffington Post, NBC News and Fox News contributed to this report.

Photo courtesy of Mark Nozell on Flickr :https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcn/19481904765/in/photolist-vFxRxK-q4cTcY-xpAuWB-uJxwrC-tBAHMt-wT4RqN-tvhQQS-sxUkFY-vp6ZQt-rW3C3g-uYb9zi-sqttEQ-xBTnf5-sSC769-xiTWmp-q8eEc8-uxXLXp-vp73Yn-vDfwWJ-uJH9Ac-vDfphL-vDfsvQ-sMpzkn-vDfqLC-vFxRce-vDfsmm-uJxxoY-uJH9tD-zAi9b3-uJxNXJ-uJxNj9-gFnpCF-ppGRvp-vFxYCM-vEZAcW-vFWjFp-voYTUW-voYQ2y-vp7b5r-uJHkSk-yzQU6P-w2Hton-voYJH9-voYCw9-uJxzgA-uJxzR3-zifWn3-xBUaGm-tXK46Q-qtuZpJ