Cooking with Iggy: chicken francese

There are few things my family loves more than throwing a party.  With three daughters of 13, 19 and 22, my parents seem to be throwing a party to celebrate one thing or another fairly frequently.  With my college graduation looming in May and my sister’s high school graduation not that far behind us, we often find ourselves discussing food.

This chicken francese recipe has not only become a staple of our day-to-day dinners but is a cornerstone of our family parties. My parents pride themselves on doing most of the cooking for parties by themselves.  While it is definitely more work than just hiring a caterer, it has always proved to be a big success and earned us numerous compliments over the years.  It is simple enough to be cooked in a dorm kitchen because it does not require too much work or too many ingredients.  With all this snow, sometimes it is nice to have a comforting meal.

1: Place each chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap, pound very thinly and evenly with a meat pounder or mallet.  Lightly sprinkle each piece of chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge both sides in flour.  Don’t forget to shake off the excess.

2: In a small bowl, beat an egg well.  Add milk or water and combine well using a wire whisk. Dip each piece of chicken into the mixture. Shake off the excess.

3: Make sure you have a non-stick skillet large enough to hold all the pieces of chicken in a single layer.  In the skillet, heat the oil.  Cook over a medium-high heat for about two minutes per side or until golden brown.  Once cooked, remove the chicken to a warm serving plate.

4: Add the lemon juice and butter to the skillet, quickly blending it with the oil.  Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and garnish with lemon slices or parsley.

Ingredients

•  4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts,
  •  about 1 1/4 pounds
  •  salt and pepper to taste
  •  1/4 flour for dredging
  •  1 egg
  •  2 tablespoons milk or water
  •  2 tablespoons olive oil
  •  2 tablespoons butter