Cooking with Iggy: Rock Candy

Photo Courtesy of Flickr.com

Now that one of television’s most influential drama series, Breaking Bad, is over and the population is suffering from withdrawals, we have found something to help its legacy carry on: a recipe which will help us reminisce on the good ol’ days, when we looked forward to seeing the drug dealing dynamic duo every Sunday night to tear our emotions apart. This Blue Crystal Meth Rock Candy is sure to pass the quality standards of Mr. White, and it will be easier for Jesse to sell than giving candy to a baby.

Now you won’t need any special chemistry experience or a partner in crime to sell your batch, but you do need one special instrument: a candy thermometer. Not a common item but one that proves to have many uses. Everything else is in an everyday kitchen.

• Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
  • In a medium saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup and granulated sugar.
  • Place the pan over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
  • Bring the mixture to a boil, then stop stirring and brush down the sides with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming. Insert a candy thermometer.
  • Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads 290-295 degrees Fahrenheit (143-146 C) on the thermometer.
  • Watch the temperature carefully–a lower temperature might produce sticky candy, while a higher temperature runs the risk of producing green candy!
  • Once at 290-295, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for a few moments, until bubbles stop breaking on the surface.
  • Add the flavoring and a drop of food coloring, and stir everything together.
  • Pour the candy onto the prepared baking sheet and tilt it so that it runs into a thin layer.
  • Let it set completely at room temperature.
  • Once set, break it into small pieces by hand.

For the complete Breaking Bad experience, place the pieces in a large zip-top bag and smash them with a rolling pin until they are crushed. Store the candy in an airtight container at room temperature. It’s enjoyed best with friends and any Heisenberg enthusiasts during an AMC re-run marathon to keep you going throughout the night.

Recipe inspired by sugarero.com