Loyola Hosts Annual Loyolapalooza Event, Headlined by Fitz and the Tantrums

Ryan Hiebler

Loyolapalooza occurs prior to the start of final exams. It was very difficult to be bored if you attended this event. As you got closer to DGA field, you heard laughter and felt the warmth of the sunshine. Outside you were provided with food and refreshments, along with bouncy houses and a spinning carnival ride.

Liv Grivers ‘24, shared her excitement about the event and reflected on how this year was different from others.

“I’m excited that it’s sunny out for my last Loyolapalooza. Seeing so many people on the field and outside and on the field is really refreshing compared to our last three years,” Grivers said.

After you’ve had enough time outside, you head into Reitz Arena where the sounds of the stage can be heard all the way from the back row. Fitz and the Tantrums were warmly embraced by Loyola students and this excitement and energy carried through their entire performance.

Travis Pulichino ‘26, was looking forward to a specific song from the band, while commenting on the happiness felt from being outside.

“So far it has been great. The weather and outdoor activities are really nice,” Pulichino said.

He rushed inside because he did not want to miss his favorite Fitz and the Tantrums song “Out of my League.” This event would not have been made possible without the help and dedication of Loyola’s Student Government Association (SGA). The artists, events and activities were all selected by Juliana Merlino, SGA’s Director of Events and Traditions.

Fitz and the Tantrums came on shortly after 3:30 p.m. The stands were full of cheering students, and the event could officially be deemed a success when an appearance by President Terry Sawyer was made.

The festival included an array of carnival and fair favorites. Grills and food stands were also made available for students. Here, they were serving hot dogs, hamburgers, cotton candy, and popcorn, all free of charge. There were activities including bouncy castles, an American Ninja Warrior simulation, and even a spinning carnival ride where students would be standing and spin in different directions for about 30 seconds.

Johnny Cozza, ‘24, shared his excitement about the event, while reflecting on new changes the event has brought about.

“This was a tradition year after year, but this event was a lot different than others we have had because it was outdoors and an entirely different vibe. There has been a lot more artist variety which I am happy about,” Cozza said.

The highlight of the spring semester, Loyolapalooza, has been a tradition at the school for decades. Featuring carnival style food and games, this event is a great way to decompress before the start of finals. For more information on this event or to get involved, you can visit the Loyolapalooza Homepage or contact SGA for further details.