Team Preview: Loyola Women’s Soccer

As a new school year begins for students on the Evergreen campus, the Loyola Women’s Soccer team is already in full swing for the 2022 season. The Greyhounds will be led at the helm this season by coach Joe Mallia. Mallia has the best record of any coach in the history of Loyola Greyhounds Women’s Soccer and has been the coach since re-taking the job in 2018. Previously, Mallia coached the Greyhounds from 1998 to 2004.  

Last season, Loyola finished in 3rd place and produced the best season since joining the Patriot League. The expectations for the Greyhounds are high after the return of their goalkeeper, Paige Sim ’23. After last year’s outstanding season, Sim was named the 2022 Patriot League Women’s Soccer Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year, and she was honored as Loyola’s first player to receive this title. Sim’s season was highlighted by leading the conference in multiple statistical categories. She was first in the Patriot League with a .95 goals-against average as well as a .809 save percentage.  

Expectations are also high on the Greyhounds from those outside the team. In the 2022 Patriot League Women’s Soccer Preseason Poll, Loyola was picked to finish fourth in the conference and received two first-place votes. As the season has begun, the success has continued for Sim and the Greyhounds. Sim, along with graduate student Sarah Mirr and Alex Searing ‘23, were also named Patriot League Players of Week earlier this season.  

The Greyhounds have played in six matches this season and have accumulated a record of 2-3-1. These matches have included a 3-1 loss to Drexel on Aug. 18, a 6-0 loss at the University of Virginia on Aug. 21, a 1-0 Win at Rice University on Aug. 25, a 4-0 Win vs Youngstown St. on Aug. 28, a 2-3 Loss vs Columbia on Sept. 1, as well as a 0-0 Tie with Kent State on Sept. 4. The Greyhounds continue their four-game home stand with two more matches this week. The next match is at home on Thursday, Sept. 8, against Howard University, followed by another home match on Sunday, Sept. 11, against Wake Forest. Those looking to catch a Greyhounds Women’s Soccer game can find the entire 2022-23 schedule here.  

Photo Credit: Bikanski (via Public Domain)