A quick check-in: soccer edition

Loyola’s men’s and women’s soccer teams have been making some noise this season, so why not check in with both teams to see how their respective seasons are going? 

After losing the Patriot League semifinals in the spring, the Loyola men’s soccer team began this season looking to once again compete for a Patriot League title. 

Graduate student Justin Ingram and Kelan Swales ‘22 each lead the team with five goals apiece, while Matthew Lala ‘23, Daniel Tshiani ‘23, and Loc San ‘24 each have two. 

In goal, graduate student Chase Vosvick has posted a .774 save percentage in his 10 starts this season. Backup goalies Alex Bobocea ‘25 and Thomas Zinngrebe ‘23 have contributed as well with a combined four starts. 

So far, the team has posted a 5-5-2 record with a 3-2 record within the Patriot League. The team is coming off a 3-0 victory at home against American, and they continue competition in the Patriot League on Saturday when they host Navy at Ridley Athletic Complex. 

Similarly, Loyola’s women’s soccer team has shown toughness and determination throughout the past few months. With a 6-5-3 overall record and a 3-1-2 conference record, the women’s soccer team continues to push through the heart of their season. 

The team has been through many close games this season as reflected in their goal differential of zero. Ada Clare Tempert ‘23 leads the team in goals with three, while five others (Sarah Mirr ‘22, Sarah Bayer ‘22, Baylee DeSmit ‘25, Kelly Hutton ‘24, and Kaleigh Gallagher ‘22) each have two goals apiece. 

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Paige Sim ‘23 has kept control of the soccer net all season. Her .808 save percentage has kept the Greyhounds ahead in several games, as well as earning four Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week awards so far. 

After losing in the Patriot League semifinals in the spring, the Loyola women’s soccer team is looking to go further this season. The team’s next challenge will be a home contest on Saturday against a Patriot League rival, Lehigh University. 

From the entire Loyola community, we wish the best of luck to the men’s and women’s soccer teams for the rest of the season! 

Featured Image courtesy of Emilio Garcia via Unsplash