Will sports betting become legal in Maryland?

Sports betting around the United States has gained popularity, and this fall, voters in Maryland will decide whether or not sports betting should be legal in the state.

Sports betting is legal in 19 U.S. states, and the number of states legalizing sports betting is increasing. According to a recent poll mentioned by CBS Baltimore, Marylanders are divided on the issue.

While sports betting seems to be a controversial issue in Maryland, it is not the main focus in the state right now. Improving education is a priority, and revenue from sports betting would go toward improving it locally. As CBS Baltimore writer Paul Gessler points out, “ads running now are focusing on education, where sports betting revenue would go, to drum up support.” 

Locals have also expressed their concerns for improving education statewide. Dr. Milean Kromer of Goucher College explained that many Marylanders identify education as the number one issue in the state.

“People are consistent in their approval for increasing funding toward education,” Kromer said

There has been some doubt as to whether or not sports betting should be allowed in Maryland, but Maryland Senator Chris West has assured that sports betting will be good for Maryland. According to West, the revenue, which the state is currently losing to neighboring states that have already approved these measures, will end up going to education in Maryland. 

If sports betting is legalized in Maryland, the revenue would not only help Maryland’s education system, but it would also improve important issues in the state such as environmental and agricultural problems. At the moment, the only impediment facing the passing of this law is timing. Maryland Governor Larry Hogan said that he does not know what it will look like post-legislative process, but that it’s a potential source of revenue moving forward. 

All signs are pointing toward sports betting becoming legal in Maryland, and with DraftKings spending $250,000 to support the measure, it is on the path toward becoming a reality.

For more sports news in Maryland, keep up-to-date with The Greyhound.

Featured Image courtesy of Agirard via Flickr Creative Commons