Here We Go Again: Taleah Dixon describes her season-ending injury and her long road to recovery

It was just a regular fall practice for Taleah Dixon ‘22, a forward for the Loyola women’s basketball team. However, this day proved to change the course of her upcoming season, and maybe even her college career. Dixon was running drills with her teammates in practice when she felt a slight pop in her knee. She immediately knew what it was. It wasn’t the first time, and it was a feeling that Dixon knew all too well. It was her ACL.

“Here we go again,” she said to herself in frustration.

A bit of hope began to shine inside of her when she realized she could still move her leg. Unfortunately, that hope was quickly dashed when MRIs confirmed that the injury was what she had feared.

“So, when do we start rehab?” Dixon immediately said. She didn’t want to feel sorry for herself, and she had mentally prepared herself to be out for the season. The Baltimore native had already torn her ACL in 2016, so she knew the recovery period would take upwards of six months 

The Greyhounds have had a rough start to the season, having won five games with 15 losses. Dixon, a talented player heavily recruited out of local McDonogh High School, hasn’t been moping around frustrated at her misfortune. She has instead narrowed her focus to attacking rehab and doing whatever she can to support her team.

“My teammates will watch me do rehab sometimes. They still ask how I’m feeling just as if I’m coming back to play this year,” she said.

Dixon knows the road to recovery is long, but everyone can probably still see her smiling around campus. She said her positive attitude has been possible because of her strong support system.

“My friends love to hear that I’m progressing. Family asks for an update almost everyday. They are there every step of the way.”

Look for Taleah to suit up for the Greyhounds next season, where she will finally get to play alongside the players who have so loyally supported her over the course of her rehab.

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.