Men’s basketball picks up first win at Chicago State

The men’s basketball team earned their first win of the 2019-20 season on Saturday, winning convincingly at Chicago State with a score of 98-85. 

Andrew Kostecka ’20 led the Greyhounds with 26 points, and Isaiah Hart ’21 had a team-best 10 assists from the point guard position. Jaylin Andrews ‘22 and Cam Spencer ‘23 each contributed 14 points, while Brent Holcombe ‘20 and KaVaughn Scott ‘20 each had nine. Golden Dike ’23 was solid on the glass with eight rebounds.

Chicago State led the game early on, but three consecutive three-pointers sparked the run that allowed Loyola to pull away. Holcombe hit the first one, tying the game at 13, then Kostecka gave the Hounds the lead for good with his three. Spencer hit the third three-pointer on the very next possession, and the road team would lead the rest of the way.

Chicago State stayed within striking distance on the back of Andrew Lewis (14 points) for a few more minutes, but the Hounds went on another huge 16-3 run to get a double-digit lead. Loyola would hold a 10-plus point lead the rest of the game.

The home team started to inch closer late in the second half, but Chuck Champion ’20 (eight points) put them away for good with a runner and a three-pointer with 3:22 left, giving his team a 92-76 late lead.

After his 26 points, Kostecka now sits at 24th on the school’s all-time scoring list. Hart’s 10 assists are the most by a Greyhound in a single game since 2014.

The Hounds stay on the road on Wednesday, when they travel to Old Dominion University. Tip-off is at 7:00 p.m.

Featured Image Courtesy of Loyola Athletics.