Ohlsson qualifies for championships, and Greyhounds finish strong

On Jan. 25 and 26, the Greyhounds track and field team traveled to George Mason for the Patriot Games. The event was split into two days, and each day had momentous moments.

On Friday, Jan. 25, Christina Daniels ‘19 and Mary Sutton ‘19 competed in the 5,000-meter. Both Daniels and Sutton set personal records in the event. Daniels finished 14th with a time of 18:06.25 while Sutton finished 19th with a time of 18:27.39.

The race continued on Saturday morning with the rest of the events. Courtney Kenny ‘21 finished fourth in the 200-meter with a time of 26.31. She tied the seventh-best 200-meter time in school history. In addition to Kenny’s performance, Rachel Koller ‘20 finished 13th, and Katherine Schramm ‘21 finished 14th.

The Greyhounds’ 4-x-400 meter relay, made up of Maria Jaeckel ‘22, Megan Daviero ‘22, Jacqueline Kohaut ‘21, and Koller finished third with a time of 4:14.06. Loyola also had three runners finish in the top seven for the 800-meter. Audrey O’Neill ‘20 finished fourth (2:22.81); Carly Spinnler ‘22, finished sixth (2:25.17); and Kate Ragone ‘22 finished seventh (2:25.78).

Molly Smith ‘19 had a second place finish in the 400 with a time of 58.51–the seventh best time in school history. Jaeckel finished sixth overall as she won her heat with a time of 60.47. Heather Merrifield ‘20, then finished ninth with a time of 61.07.

The highlight of the race was when Senna Ohlsson ‘21, finished second in the 500 with a time of 1:15.85. With her second place finish, Ohlsson qualified for the ECAC Championships. Her time was also the fifth-fastest in school history. Gabrielle Silvestri ‘19 won her heat in the 500  as well. She finished fifth overall with a time of 1:20.81. Eve Schoenberg ‘22, finished seventh with a time of 1:23.15.

It was a successful and exciting weekend for the Greyhounds. Their next event will be at Villanova on Saturday, Feb. 2. The team is looking forward to the Villanova Invitational as an opportunity to continue setting personal bests.

Image courtesy of Craig Chase