Women’s basketball falls to Bucknell

Loyola’s women’s basketball team (2-16) fell to the Bucknell Bison (15-4) at home on Wednesday, Jan. 23 with a score of 75-57. It was the Bison’s freshmen that took control of the game. Bucknell’s Kaitlyn Slagus ‘22, led the game in scoring for the Bison with 17 points, going eight for 10 shooting. The Bison led the game in almost every statistical category.

The Bison took control in the first quarter and never looked back, having the lead the whole game. Bucknell had a very unselfish mentality coming into the game–every player with the exception of two made a bucket, which ultimately led them to win the game. A strong rebounding performance from Ellie Mack ‘22, and passing from Kate Walker ‘22, helped to seal a victory for Bucknell. Mack finished the game with nine rebounds, and Walker finished the game with seven assists. The Bison had contributions from their bench too, scoring 16 points.

Though the season has not gone as planned for the Greyhounds, there were a handful of standout performances from the team. Isabella Therien ‘21, continued to score at a high level for the Hounds with 12 points. A solid scoring performance coming off the bench from Alexis Gray ‘20, helped Loyola stay in contention throughout the game. Gray scored 19 points, with three 3-pointers. The Hounds were successful at drawing fouls and successfully scoring on their free throw attempts, going 10-14 from the foul line.

On Saturday, Jan. 26 the Greyhounds had another tough loss to Colgate. The team’s current Patriot League record is 1-7. However, the team is looking forward and is ready to travel to Lehigh on Wednesday, Jan. 30.

Feature image courtesy of Craig Chase