Why Planned Parenthood should stay funded

Planned Parenthood should not be defunded. I understand this opinion is an unpopular one at the moment, but Planned Parenthood should continue to receive money from the government for a number of important reasons.

First of all, an investigation has rightfully been opened after allegations of the organization selling fetal tissue for profit. I agree that a full and unbiased investigation should ensue after watching the videos that were leaked. However, there is currently no proof that Planned Parenthood profited from the exchanges. It’s completely legal for women to consent to give fetal tissue from their abortions to medical research and it’s also legal for Planned Parenthood to aid them in this. Eric Fererro, vice president of communications at Planned Parenthood, said, “In health care, patients sometimes want to donate tissue to scientific research that can help lead to medical breakthroughs, such as treatments and cures for serious diseases. Women at Planned Parenthood who have abortions are no different.”

Also, it’s important to remember who produced these videos. The group that leaked the videos is the Center for Medical Progress, an extremist pro-life organization dead-set on making it so that women in this country don’t have access to abortions. I don’t think that the religious views of some individuals should decide what everyone in this country has access to. Separation of church and state is a very important constitutional concept and should be fully applied in this country’s government. Unfortunately, many states have already independently defunded Planned Parenthood due to the religious beliefs of the majority in these states.

A large issue in this debate is the fact that many people aren’t aware that Planned Parenthood provides an abundance of services outside of abortions. In fact, abortions aren’t the most common service at the organization. They provide consultations about cervical, breast, and testicular cancer screenings; diabetes screening; flu vaccinations; anemia testing; birth control; STD testing, treatment, and prevention; male infertility screening; and help for women going through menopause. Perhaps the most important aspect of what they provide is their funding program. Women and men who can’t afford to go to the doctor for these services are able to get them for free at Planned Parenthood due to donations. For many, these services are vital. If Planned Parenthood were shut down, women who couldn’t afford birth control would no longer have access to it, many might not find out whether or not they have life threatening diseases, STD rates would likely increase, and women would have a much more difficult time getting an abortion. For some, getting an abortion might become nearly impossible.

If our government wants to shut down Planned Parenthood, replacement organizations or programs offering the same services should be implemented first. This way, services would still be available to those in need and the government could determine whether or not any illegal activity took place at Planned Parenthood simultaneously.

*The article originally referenced that Planned Parenthood offers mammograms, which is incorrect. This assertion was removed from the article by the editor after a comment pointed out said error.*

Photo courtesy of Flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/cecooper/5480490632/in/photolist-9mhWVN-7QfXFn-7QjhLj-7Qj7nh-7QfYaa-7QjdPQ-d6ZVzG-9mei64-amPArV-R5VRT-9mntLU-QcTtM-7Qj9ou-hkT7ha-hkTdvH-hkTREm-hkTM4j-bDoAkM-hkT9zX-3d2fiH-v4niNJ-R46aJ-PT5nx-61Kvrp-5Ux1EM-jTbmbV-jTj4po-hkUSt2-hkUJqD-hkT5Zv-hkTKZU-7Qjj1u-hkTau2-7QfQpB-hkULwT-9mjuui-hkTMTf-hkT8nr-hkUHhX-9mf1PZ-bVLgLU-5UBs5d-9RBcCm-9ms99L-9mp8HM-amSqi5-amPzYn-amSpjC-amPzDV-yXrEGm