Loyola Student starts own athletic-apparel company

For Loyola student Chris Kong, being a full-time student and business leader has led him to produce his very own clothing line. The life of an entrepreneur has been popularized in the business world lately for obvious reasons; you get to set your own hours and the only person bossing you around is yourself. What is there not to like? While this may seem like a glamorous lifestyle, there is a lot of work that goes into making an idea a reality, but all that hard work pays off when you see your idea become a real product.

Chris Kong, class of ’17, from Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, started his company, Vision Athletics just under a year ago.  With the help of a friend from back home and his father’s contacts in manufacturing, Kong has created a shirt that has the potential to compete with the likes of Under Armor and other athletic wear.  With the combination of fine cotton, elastic polyester and a mesh pocket along the side, Vision Athletics created a workout shirt that is moisture wicking and comfortable to wear both inside and outside the gym.  Not only does it “accentuate the athlete’s hard-earned physique”, it is also simply priced from $18-$20 on their website www.Vision-Athletics.com.

How does Vision Athletics plan to compete with a major company like Under Armor? The answer is simple. They have a different target audience. Just like Under Armor, Vision Athletics wants to be an athlete-based company, but instead of going after sport athletes like Jordan Spieth and Steph Curry, Vision Athletics has decided to promote their brand toward fitness athletes. Their main audience is bodybuilders, but with new apparel ideas in the works such as 3D Luxe Embroidered Hats, a women’s spring collection and a men’s spring line, they hope to expand this target audience. Their goal is “to inspire and motivate athletes, fitness enthusiasts, visionaries, and innovators that any goal can be achieved. Passion is our fuel and we are promoting a lifestyle.”

It can be tough to stick to an idea and actually create something, particularly as a student, but Kong’s advice for entrepreneurs is this, “Find mentors and don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

Photo courtesy of Rui Miguel Matos/Flickr