SGA Big Three election results: A Tormann, Flury, and McNeill victory

The results are in, and the TCC Campaign has won election as the Loyola Student Government Association (SGA)’s Big Three.

Incumbent Junior Class Co-Presidents Trevor Tormann ‘22 and Charlotte Flury ‘22, paired with Senator Christian McNeill ‘22, cruised to victory over their opponents, Bobby Portway ‘22, Sydnie Edwards ‘22, and Matthew Gheduzzi ‘23. Tormann, Flury, and McNeill are slated to take office as the Student Body President, Vice President of Social Affairs, and Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, respectively.

On the big win, Tormann thanked the students who supported him:

“Speaking for myself, Christian, and Charlotte, we really would like to emphasize how humbled and grateful we are that members of the student body put their trust in us for the upcoming year. Students identified with our platform and they put their faith in us as leaders who can get the job done—and they made this clear through participating in this campaign and with their votes.”

Now begins the transition process, and the new officers will be sworn in by early March. Then the real work begins. Tormann outlined the opening notes of their administration:

“The first item on our agenda is passing our proposed Executive Board amendments: amend the Directors of Civic and Intercollegiate Engagement, and create the Director of Gender Violence Prevention and Education. We have a meeting scheduled with the SGA Senate next Tuesday, March 2, where we will propose our intended by-law changes.”

This will be the first action taken by the Tormann administration and will require working with the student-run senate to create these three new positions. The team does not expect much opposition to these proposals, and they are likely to pass with ease.

Following the creation of these new roles, the process of applying for positions on the executive board will begin. Students may apply to the fifteen executive board positions, which serve functionally as the Big Three’s Presidential Cabinet. Positions range from Director of Sustainability to Chief Operating Officer.

Historically, the nomination and approval process has been relatively simple due to consistently low numbers of applications. This is a challenge Tormann recognizes:

“Collectively, we acknowledged SGA’s reputation has posed a roadblock to receiving a diverse applicant pool in the past. The three of us commit to combatting this reputation, and will look to develop a plan of targeted recruitment.”

While using normal mass communication methods like social media, TCC also intends to specifically reach out to historically excluded groups on campus.

Beyond the first months of the new administration, the key to look out for will be the creation of a pass/fail option for those who have been victims of bias or gender violence. This will likely require some negotiations between SGA and Loyola’s administration. In our conversation last week, Tormann said he expected some pushback from the administration but is confident that he and the SGA he will lead will be able to pursue implementation of this policy.

For updates on SGA and what’s to come with the Tormann administration, check back with The Greyhound.

Featured Image courtesy of Trevor Tormann ’22