Loyola men’s and women’s lacrosse: this weekend’s matchups

If you like lacrosse, then this weekend is for you. Both Loyola lacrosse teams will be in action this weekend, and both teams will be playing at home at the Ridley Athletic Complex.

The #4 ranked women’s lacrosse team will make their season debut on Feb. 20, when they host the #3 ranked Syracuse Orange. 

“The Greyhounds were a perfect 5-0 in the shortened 2020 season, while the visiting Orange finished 7-1 last spring,” according to an update from the Loyola women’s lacrosse team website. Loyola’s Livy Rosenzweig ‘21 was named the preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, while Katie Detwiler ‘22 was named the preseason Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year.

Last season was truncated due to COVID-19, but the women’s team won all five of their games, and they put up some big offensive numbers on the stat sheet. The team averaged 17.6 goals per game during the shortened 2020 season, and ranked sixth in Division I. 

“The Greyhounds scored at least 14 goals in all five victories, and outscored opponents by an overall margin of 88-50,” according to the update. 

With many members of the team returning this season, the women’s team is looking to contend for a championship. It all starts this Saturday at Ridley. Game time is set for noon and it will be televised on ESPN+.

The women may be starting their season on Saturday, but the #11 ranked men’s lacrosse team will be playing its second game of the season when they host the #3 ranked Virginia Cavaliers on Saturday evening. The men’s team is coming off a dramatic win last Sunday when they came back to beat Richmond 8-7 in overtime.

The star of the comeback was Kevin Lindley ‘21. Down 7-5 late in the fourth quarter, Lindley scored three consecutive goals to give the Greyhounds the victory. He had “not found the goal on his first three shots Sunday afternoon at Richmond, but his last three attempts met the net.” Along with Lindley, the Greyhounds feature several preseason All-Patriot League team members including Matt Higgins ‘20, Ryan McNulty ‘20, Aidan Olmstead ‘21, Peter Swindell ‘20, and Cam Wyers ‘22.

The men’s team is looking to build off last year’s 4-2 campaign, and with much of the team remaining from last year, the men’s team is primed to make some noise this season. Game time is set for 5:00 pm and it will be televised on ESPN+.

Featured Image courtesy of Julia D’Agostino via Flickr Creative Commons