Felix Hernandez signs with the Orioles

Upgrading the rotation is a priority if the Baltimore Orioles want to compete this season. And by bringing in a big name, it gives the rotation and the team a jolt of energy heading into spring training. The Orioles have agreed to a minor league contract with right-handed pitcher, Felix Hernandez.

Hernandez, better known by his nickname “King Felix,” is a former Cy Young Award winner, but he has not looked that way in recent seasons. He opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns, but when he last pitched with Seattle in 2019, he owned a record of 1-8 with a 6.40 ERA. Now with the Orioles, he is looking for a fresh start after taking some time off from the game.

Since Hernandez signed a minor league deal with the team, that does not guarantee him a spot on the Opening Day roster. He will, however, earn a chance to be in Baltimore’s starting rotation by having a strong showing in spring training, and his chances are high.

With the trade of Alex Cobb to the Angels and a lot of unproven arms, Hernandez will have a good chance of earning a spot in the rotation. John Means seems to have the only spot locked up in the rotation, with other pitchers like Keegan Akin, Wade LeBlanc, Thomas Eshelman, and others fighting for rotation spots with Hernandez.

Felix Hernandez may not be the flashy Cy Young winner that he once was, but if he can have a good spring training and make the Opening Day rotation, he could provide a much-needed spark not only for the Orioles rotation but for the team as a whole.

Featured Image courtesy of Patrick Burke via Flickr Creative Commons