The Christmas spirit: COVID edition

It is truly hard to believe that Christmas is only a few weeks away. This past year has been full of ups and downs, and it is disappointing to think that many people have spent most of it inside due to COVID-19. Unfortunately, this pandemic is far from over and that definitely puts a damper on the Christmas season, as many events that are looked forward to all year have been or will be canceled. However, that does not mean we cannot make the most of it. Here are six activities that you can try with family and friends to have a great, COVID-free holiday!

1. Get into the Christmas Spirit

Getting into the Christmas spirit and being cheery can be tough with everything that is going on in the world, but that does not mean it is impossible. This season is full of opportunities for feeling joyful, from the festive food to the fun music. Since everyone will be spending a lot more time at home this year, try to decorate as much as possible. Putting up Christmas lights, getting a Christmas tree, or hanging stockings are great ways to get started. You can also head to your local department store and purchase some Christmas pajamas. Lastly, blast your favorite Christmas playlist throughout the season. Apple Music’s Essential Christmas playlist is what I have been listening to since November and I love it. Spotify’s Christmas Hits playlist is also a great choice to get you in the mood.

2. Zoom Movie Night

Curling up with a cup of cocoa and watching Christmas movies is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays. From classics like “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” to modern day movies like “The Holiday,” I genuinely believe that Christmas movies are nothing short of a necessity. Having a movie night on Zoom with friends and family is a great way to kick off the holiday season and spend time with those you love but cannot be with physically. Have someone set up a Zoom meeting, put on a Christmas movie, and share their screen (or, plan a Netflix Party!). Grab your favorite snack, cozy up on the sofa, and enjoy the movie.

3. Christmas Tradition Swap

Because we all have to spend a lot of time with our immediate family members this Christmas, this would be the perfect time to come up with some new Christmas traditions. Due to COVID, a lot of people have gotten stuck in the same routines. Some days lack spontaneity because we have been staying inside to limit our exposure to the virus. Because every family is different, exchanging Christmas traditions with your friends can be a great way to spice up this holiday season. Some Christmas traditions tend to be very creative. For example, Claire Marino ‘24 shared her family’s traditions, explaining:

“On Christmas Eve before mass, my family has Chinese food for dinner like they do in ‘A Christmas Story.’” 

By trying new Christmas traditions, you may find one that you’d like to continue with your family in coming years.

4. Dessert Decorating Competition

During the Christmas season, people make a lot of amazing treats and decorate them in extravagant ways, but turning it into a competition can make it even more interesting. First, get your family and friends together and choose a dessert to decorate. These desserts can range from simple sugar cookies to something more complex, like a gingerbread house. Then, set a timer and let the decorating begin! If you would like to try this with friends and family that are not with you, set up a Zoom meeting on your phone or laptop and conduct the contest virtually. Get an impartial person to judge each dessert and lastly, enjoy the delicious masterpieces you created.

5. Send Personalized Videos or Cards

It can be really tough not being to travel or have family members travel to you during the holidays. However, there are different ways to express to your family members how much they mean to you regardless of where they are. Creating and sending out a personalized video or Christmas card to those you love can show them how grateful you are to have them in your life. The videos or cards can be funny to add some joy or laughter during these difficult times, or they can be sentimental. They can even be both! Either way, this is a great way to show your friends and family that you are thinking of them even if you cannot be together.

6. Donate to Those in Need

While it is great to focus on yourself and your family members during this season, there are many others who are in need of Christmas cheer this year. Some have lost family members and jobs due to this pandemic, and for others, this pandemic has added to their existing hardships. There are plenty of ways to give to those in your community and around the world. The Spruce’s Holiday 2020 Giving article mentions a great deal of organizations that you can donate to during the holidays. This is the season of giving, and donating to those who need help is a great way to end the year.

Overall, there are many activities that can be carried out during the holidays that will not put you at risk of catching COVID-19. Along with a little creativity and optimism, these tips can help you to have a joyful holiday season and end the year on a good note. Happy holidays everyone!

Featured Image courtesy of Marina Khrapova via Unsplash