Annual Mass of the Holy Spirit highlights Baltimore and a recent bias uptake on campus

On Sept. 15, the Alumni Memorial Chapel held its annual Mass of the Holy Spirit, dedicated to bringing the Loyola community together in prayer for the forthcoming school year. Students, faculty, staff, administration, and other community members from all religious denominations were welcomed to reconnect with the Holy Spirit as the 2019-20 academic year commences.  

The Mass focused greatly on Loyola’s connection with the Baltimore community, in addition to reflection and mindfulness of the university’s role in the city at large. Archbishop of Baltimore, William E. Lori, highlighted the city during his Homily:

“Through all of its needs and all of its challenges, Baltimore is a wonderful city. It’s a place with heart and soul. It’s a place where a lot of good people are doing their very best to make a better life for themselves and their families. You’ll find here heroic goodness, even in our most disadvantaged neighborhoods.”

The gathering also allotted time for the opportunity to actively give back to the greater community through donations. Following the general form of Mass, donations were collected at the midway point, all of which were given to Mother Seton Academy, a Baltimore-based, tuition-free middle school working with students with the greatest economic need through Catholic, Gospel-based teachings. According to the academy’s vision statement, the middle school is dedicated to shaping socially conscious, productive, and responsible leaders. 

The Mass of the Holy Spirit was closed with remarks from President Rev. Brian Linnane regarding a recent uptake in bias-related incidents on campus. 

“I’ve been troubled to hear that there have been some, some (sic) incidents that have made some of our students unwelcome. You should know that if you are not willing to embrace the diversity and our quest for racial justice in this university, you are not at home,” the President said. 

This address, coming five days after a campus-wide email was sent from Rev. Linnane entitled “Becoming a more just, inclusive community” that detailed his concerns about students lacking a sense of belonging on campus, encouraged students to be respectful of the differences they find around them at Loyola.

“Let’s resolve ourselves to double our efforts to make each and every person we encounter on this campus know that they are at home. That they belong. That they are loved,” said Linnane. “And that each of us is interested in learning from them as much as we hope to help others learn from ourselves.” 

Student Body President, Lily Prince ‘20, participated in Sunday’s Mass as a lector. Although she is not a recurring liturgical minister at Loyola, she felt called to take part in this special, celebratory mass. Reflecting on Rev. Linnane’s remarks, Prince noted his closing as integral to the campus climate’s future as the academic year is underway. 

“I am hoping in (sic) that Father’s remarks continue to drive the sentiment that ignorance and prejudice will not be tolerated at a home to an increasing amount of students of color and from diverse identities. His comments and his letter to the student body are only the beginning of some serious conversations students need to start on campus,” said Prince. 

In addition to weekly Catholic Mass, liturgical ministry training, retreat registrations, and social justice work opportunities can all be explored through Campus Ministry. Further information can be found at the Campus Ministry webpage.

Image Courtesy of The Greyhound News