Greyhounds Give day surpasses goal of $250,000

On April 5, 2019, the fifth annual Greyhounds Give day of giving took place. Greyhounds Give had a goal of $250,000. However, in a short twenty-four hours, the goal was surpassed, raising atotal of $292,000. The biggest contributors and supporters of the organization that runs the Greyhounds Give day is the Student Philanthropy Council (SPC). The SPC is a student-run organization in which students organize different events around campus to ensure that the Loyola community knows about the importance of philanthropy. They work together with many organizations on campus to ensure that philanthropy continues to ensue in the Loyola community.

Greyhounds Gives proceeds are donated to many different parts of Loyola University. Donors usually specify what organization or department they want to give to. For example, one can donate to Sellinger School of Business and Management, or a club sport such as baseball. If it is not specified, the proceeds were donated to the Evergreen Annual Fund. According to the Loyola website, 100% of the Evergreen Annual Fund goes directly toward academic scholarships and need-based grants. The website also reads, “you can ensure that talented students of all backgrounds benefit from the same transformative Jesuit, liberal arts education that we offer.”

On Greyhounds Give day, once students donated, many posted on their Instagram story with the hashtag #GreyhoundsGive. This led to many people who saw the posts donating as well. The biggest contributors among the student body were the class of 2019 and 2021.

The Green and Grey Ambassador of the class of 2021, Danielle Baianey ’21, said “everyone was really enthusiastic and generous with giving this year. Next year looks very hopeful and we hope to earn more to support the Loyola Community and the Evergreen Annual Fund.”

The SPC thanked all of the donors with free Rita’s Ice in the boulder atrium the next day and encouraged many to donate next year.

Image Courtesy of Greyhound News