Spreading love during Galentine’s Day at the Women’s Center

Loyola’s Women’s Center hosted Galentine’s Day on Wednesday, Feb. 13, as a celebration for Valentine’s Day. At the event, students were able to write letters, decorate cookies, watch TV, and have their pictures taken at the photo booth while eating mini cupcakes, cookies, and red-colored bagels.

Students came in throughout the day as a quick stop before class or as a break from their schedules and the cold. Some of the students that came in got their pictures taken at the photo booth or made hearts out of yarn and wires.

Both Jada Ito ‘21 and Maddie Keleher ‘21 said that they try to go to the Women’s Center every Wednesday because it is a fun and nice space, and they both enjoy the donuts that the Women’s Center offers every Wednesday. The students who stopped by the Women’s Center all complimented the space, which was full of red and pink hearts. When asked what their thoughts on love were, Ito said that for her, “love is a quality time with your friends, family, and anyone you care about.”

According to the Women’s Center’s mission statement, the center is “dedicated to empowering women and men by educating the university and its surrounding community on issues of gender that are of particular interest to women” . It hosts events that can be found on their website throughout the year to raise awareness on issues of gender.

Greeting the incoming students and asking how their days were going was the Women’s Center graduate assistant ‘19, Esther Wiener. She helps plan and organize events such as Galentine’s Day in order to make students aware of the services found at the Women’s Center and to showcase that it is a safe and comfortable space that is open to everyone.

Wiener said that for her, “[love] is trust, friendship, and selflessness.”

Triumph Akpabio ‘21 said, “The Women’s Center is a very helpful resource for women and men who are experiencing violence or abuse in their relationship. It is a safe haven for students that need an open and comfortable space.”

It is a great place for students in general who are looking for fun and cute activities to do during the week when they want to take a break from school or work. For more information about the Women’s Center, visit their office in 4504A Seton Court to the left of the Health Center or visit their website at https://www.loyola.edu/department/womens-center .