What You Missed: The Greyhound Sports in Review

Reviewing and previewing Loyola sports

Going into the new school year means approaching brand new seasons for each of Loyola’s 17 Division I sports teams. Before looking ahead and getting ourselves ready for the new wave of tournaments and games, it’s important to see where each of our teams left off. Click here to review each team’s final scores and a sneak peak of what’s to come this fall.

Summer 2018 sets up big year for sports

Loyola may have emptied the dorms in May, but the world of sports did not stop whirring.

This past summer marked the 21st World Cup. The World Cup occurs every four years, which means this year’s World Cup winner reigns as world champion for the next four years. Going into the World Cup, certain countries were favored over others.

Germany, having won the last World Cup in 2014, was chosen to be a strong contender, but they didn’t even make it out of the group stages.

Spain was another favorite, but they fell short against the home team of Russia in the round of 16. It was a wild tournament full of excitement and surprises.

The final match of the Cup came down to Croatia and France. It was Croatia’s first appearance in a final match in World Cup history—a true Cinderella story. France’s team has no less than 15 members who come from families of African immigrants, creating a demonstration of strength for immigrants everywhere. France emerged victorious with a 4-2 score in the final. This marks France’s second World Cup victory—their first being in 1998.

As it does every four years, this year’s World Cup took the entire world by storm and declared France the reigning world champion.

NBA Star LeBron James opens I PROMISE school in hometown

LeBron James had a way of taking the sports world by storm this summer. In early July, he announced his choice of leaving the Cavaliers and joining the Lakers as he signed a four-year $154 million deal. Heading to Los Angeles means James has a challenge ahead of him, as the Lakers are in the middle of one of the least successful moments in the team’s history.

Apart from his change of teams, James made waves throughout the country as he opened the I PROMISE School. As he moves to LA, he leaves behind a public school in Akron, Ohio, which is tailored to at-risk youth.

The school will be made up of 240 third and fourth graders and will feature a variety of aspects, which sets it apart from other schools backed by celebrities.

First and foremost, it is a public school,not a charter school,which means it runs as a part of the public school system. The school days are longer than the conventional day, running 9 a.m.-5 p.m. The school year itself is longer as it runs from July to May and only allows a seven-week summer.

In addition to its different structure, James’ I PROMISE School will feature free breakfast, lunch and snacks for each student. Upon enrollment, each student is given a bicycle, and their families are offered a variety of support from GED classes to job placement assistance. The school itself is one of a kind and marks a new chapter in James’ career as he branches out into different spheres.

By creating the I PROMISE School, James has redefined what it means to be a philanthropic professional athlete. The rest of the year is filled with anticipation and excitement as James participates in his first season with the Lakers and his I PROMISE School begins its first school year.

Feature Image: Gustave Deghilage Photo, Courtesy of Flickr