Hoyas Women’s Basketball top the Greyhounds at Reitz Arena

The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team took on the Georgetown Hoyas on Thursday night in what proved to be a neck-and-neck battle for most of the game. However, the Hoyas pulled away in the second half, and defeated the Hounds by a final score of 72-54 at Reitz Arena.

The Hounds were without guard Bri-Betz White, who did not play. In her place, senior guard CaLee Gelbaugh started and contributed a career-high 13 points and 4 assists. Throughout the game, she knocked down a three point shot and distributed the ball well to her teammates. Sophomore guard Stephanie Karcz led the team with 17 points.

The Greyhounds had a strong start defensively, with active hands leading to quick offensive points. They also grabbed rebounds and caused turnovers. The club held on to the lead until late in the second quarter when Hoya guards Mikayla Venson and Dionna White went on a run to take its first lead of the game. Venson finished the game with 20 points, and White finished with 23 points and 5 steals. Guard Molly White caught fire to move Loyola within two at the half. She finished the game with 7 points.

Georgetown opened the second half stronger, and began the third quarter with nine straight points. They did not let up from there, as they crushed the Greyhounds in the third quarter and extended their lead to 58-46. Loyola stormed back towards the end of the quarter to cut the deficit. However, the Hoyas did not let go of their lead in the fourth quarter, closing out the game with a 72-54 victory.

*Photo via loyolagreyhounds.com*