Campus Spotlight: Miss Yovanda brightens up campus every day

Miss Yovanda has made quite the name for herself at Loyola. Always smiling, laughing, and joking around, the Boulder worker is a light on campus, and always knows how to brighten any student’s day. Seniors have grown up with Miss Yovanda, as she started in 2014, when current seniors were First Years.

I wanted to get to know Miss Yovanda more as a person, so I spoke with her about her life inside and outside the dining hall. Here is what she had to say.

What has it been like working at Boulder?

“I love it. It’s the students—that’s what I love about my job. I know all you guys, it’s like you’re my own kids. You’re lovable, you’re adorable. Some of them, you know, I have to chastise as if you were my own kids. I just love you all and I treat you like you’re my own. You guys are very respectful too.”

Why did you decide to work for Loyola?

“Someone actually had told me about Loyola. I’d been working in the social work field for a long time, and in the human services you have the tendency to burn out, but I wanted to be somewhere, doing something that would still be somewhat of a social work aspect, but not in so much detail as being a social worker. And you know with you guys, I give suggestions, I give advice, it’s like I’m still doing social work, without all the stress.”

How long were you in the social work field?

“15 to 17 years.”

Can you tell us a little more about yourself? Do you have any hobbies?

“I have kids, I have two boys and a girl. My hobbies and my interests are people. I love being around people. I am very outgoing, outspoken as well.”

What has been your favorite part about working at Loyola?

“The best part is just meeting new people. I love how everyone knows who I am. A lot of the kids tell me that they only come here for myself and my coworkers. And you know, I know what it’s like to be away from home, so that’s why I always just try and be consistent. The one consistent thing in everybody’s life is that you come here knowing that ‘I don’t care what kind of day I’m having, I know if I go through Boulder, Miss Yovanda is sitting there smiling.’ It really goes down to just getting back what I put out.

“I’ve loved getting to know all the students. I might not remember all the names, but I remember the students by giving them nicknames. I call one boy from New York ‘Brookman’ Sometimes I’ll call the kids by the color of their hair, like ‘hey blondie,’ or ‘wassup lil’ red.’ Or if there’s a big guy, I’ll be like, ‘wassup big man!’. One girl is giggling all the time, and I call her ‘giggles.’

“You know, this all ties into my social work. Remembering the little details about someone. It really goes a long way, makes the relationships more personable.

“And you know, I have my bad days too, but I don’t wear it on my sleeve. That’s why I’m in tune to other people. When you are around other people, you don’t have time to get into your own head, worrying about whatever is maybe weighing you down. So just for that moment, I don’t carry those feelings.”

——

I think it’s safe to say I love Miss Yovanda even more now. Her authenticity and genuine love for people makes her a pleasure to be around.

Catch Miss Yovanda during the weekdays at Boulder! She’ll be ready to swipe you in with the biggest smile and a genuine greeting. She’ll love to see you there!