Loyola students involved in armed robbery

On the evening of Sunday, Sept. 3, roommates Andrew D’Addario ’20 and Eric
Dominguez ’20 were waiting for an Uber on York Road near the Senator Theater. Just before 10
p.m. the students were approached by two young men, one of whom who appeared to have a
handgun, and were threatened to hand over their cell phones and money.

This incident of armed robbery occurred in the 5900 block of Rosebank Avenue. Loyola
Campus Police were made aware of the situation shortly thereafter, opening what is an ongoing
investigation in partnership with Baltimore City Police. Neither student was injured during the
confrontation, and after obtaining Dominguez’s phone and money from both students, the
suspects fled.

“Once I saw and heard the gun, I was like ‘Oh no is this really happening?’” Dominquez
said.

D’Addario said he did not even have time to react and he just tried to stay calm. “You
just don’t know if the gun is actually real or loaded or if they would actually shoot me,” he said.

“We’ve looked at this situation to see if there was anything different and suspicious going
on. It doesn’t seem as though these two individuals could have avoided this,” Major Rufus
Dawson, the Assistant Director of Public Safety, said.

“It was just bad timing, wrong place at the wrong time,” D’Addario said. “There was
nothing Loyola Police could do. Now we just know to be more careful and be where more people
are. It is just crazy this happened only a few minutes down the road.”

The event came as a shock to students, but particularly Jamie Archibong ’19.

“It was surprising to me how early [in the night] the robbery occurred,” Archibong said.
“Usually when us students learn about these incidents, they clearly happen at a time of night
when it’s not wise for any young students to be hanging out. But the fact that it was 10 p.m.
really caught me by surprise.”

Archibong, who is a Resident Assistant for First Years in Campion Towers, stresses the
importance of safety at night, especially on York Road. “I love that Loyola gives its students the
opportunity to go out and connect to the York Road community, and being from Baltimore, I
think it’s awesome that students are encouraged to make the city their home, but I would never
advise any of my residents to be out on York Road when it’s late.”

For Dawson, the safety of all Greyhounds is of utmost importance. He wants students to
simply be smart and be aware of their surroundings at all times.

“If you do find yourself off campus and something seems suspicious, the most important
thing to do is keep your eyes open. Trust your gut instinct, and be aware. If you see something
that makes you uncomfortable, don’t continue onward,” Dawson said. “If you’re able to travel in
a group larger than two people, try to do so, and in general avoid idle conversation with strangers
that may seem as though it’s leading to something [potentially dangerous].”

Both D’Addario and Dominguez said they feel safe on Loyola’s campus, and they plan to
continue to visit places around campus despite what happened.

“On Loyola’s campus I feel completely safe. York Road in Baltimore is a different
story,” Dominguez said.

“Now we just know that if we see something sketchy to leave right away and be with
groups, but I will definitely go back [off campus]. I’m not too shaken to not,” D’Addario said.

As always, students should be taking proactive safety measures while navigating
Baltimore, particularly after dark. Loyola Public Safety urges students and their families to
consult their crime prevention notice to learn more suggestions of ways to carefully avoid a
potentially dangerous circumstance. Some key tips include traveling in groups when possible,
not allowing yourself to be singled out or removed from the group, remaining in well-lit and well
populated areas, and carrying only cash and the personal property you need for the night.

If you or someone you know is in an emergency situation while off campus, it is important that
you alert Loyola Campus Police at 410-617- 5911.