DMV Football Report: Ravens soar while Redskins falter in week 1

The first Sunday of the football year has come and gone, leaving some fans in the area happier than others. While the hometown Ravens opened the season with a bang, D.C.’s Redskins did not similar success.

The Ravens opened the 2017 NFL season with a trip to Cincinnati to face the division-rival Bengals. The trip apparently went as planned because this one was all Baltimore. The Birds opened up the scoring with a Justin Tucker field goal in the first quarter, followed by a second quarter 48-yard bomb from quarterback Joe Flacco to wide receiver Jeremy Maclin. On the ensuing Bengals drive, cornerback Ladarius Webb stepped in front of a pass to put the Ravens back in business. Two plays later, running back Terrance West punched it in from two yards out to give Baltimore a commanding three-score lead.

With a 17-0 going into the half, Baltimore never looked back. The Ravens added a field goal in the third quarter for their final score of the contest. Also on display was the tenacious Baltimore defense. The crew forced five Andy Dalton turnovers (4 interceptions, one fumble), and sacked the QB five times on the afternoon. Final score: Ravens 20 Bengals 0.

While the Ravens flourished in their season opener, the same could not be said for the Washington Redskins. The Skins began their season by hosting the rivaled Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field. The Eagles kicked off the scoring early when wide out Nelson Agholor hauled in a 58-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Carson Wentz. Late in the second quarter, Washington took a short-lived lead when running back Chris Thompson scored on the 29-yard pitch-and-catch from quarterback Kirk Cousins. However, from there on out it was all Philadelphia. Eagles steal the opener from the Redskins. Final score Eagles 30 Redskins 17.

Looking ahead, the Ravens will host the Cleveland Browns in their home opener at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. On the other hand, the Redskins will travel to Los Angeles to face the LA Rams at the Coliseum in Pasadena.