Loyola aims for 4th straight Title

Loyola aims for 4th straight Title

On Friday night, the Loyola Women’s lacrosse team defeated Boston University 19-14 to advance to the Patriot League Championship. This will be their 4th straight year in the championship, winning the previous three.

On the Day, multiple records were broken and career highs were set. For Loyola, Sophomore Sabrina Tabasso set a new Patriot League tournament record with 18 draw controls. Additionally, Sophomore Lindsey Ehrhardt notched a career high 4 goals, Hannah Powers and Frankie Kamely both recorded their 10th and 5th hat tricks on the season. Powers notched 4 goals in the game while Kamely led all scorers with 5. Senior Cami Whiteford extended her scoring streak to 23 straight games, and Junior Katrina Geiger notched a career high 4 points.

Elisabeth Jayne’s 4 goals and Taylor Hardison’s 3 assists paced BU. GK Caroline Meegan had 12 saves, resulting in a .387 save percentage while taking the loss. BU’s largest lead came with 12:52 left in the first half, leading 7-5.

Loyola throughout the first half dominated the draw controls and shots. However, BU had fewer turnovers and was extremely efficient on their clears, going a perfect 4 for 4.

Loyola was able to have the lead going into the half by going 3 for 4 on their free-position shots. Kamely scored two of them and Powers recorded one. At half, Loyola led 11-9.

The start of the second was marked by a run of Loyola goals, which extended their lead by 6, leading 15-9 at the 23:20 mark. That was the largest lead for any team in the game.

The second half was also characterized by BU fouling on numerous occasions (18 in the 2nd half) and Loyola winning the Ground Ball battle (recording 13). Loyola also managed to become the more efficient team on the clears, going 75% in the second half compared to BU’s 71%. All of this resulted in the massive run by the hounds and forcing BU to press for the victory earlier than they wanted.

Loyola’s victory places them in the Championship on Sunday, with a Noon start-time. Navy defeated Lehigh in the other semi-final to advance as well.

Loyola defeated Navy 13-9 in the only meeting earlier this year.