Defensive NFL Draft picks outshine quarterbacks

Photo Courtesy of swimfinfan via flickr.com

Normally, the NFL draft is clouded in questions regarding who will be the next superstar quarterback. However, the 2017 draft is weak at this always-desired position. Only one quarterback, Deshaun Watson, is the real deal and is ready to play in the NFL. Watson is a proven winner, has a big arm, and unrivaled clutch factor. The other quarterbacks in the draft, Mitch Trubisky, DeShone Kizer, and Patrick Mahomes, aren’t impressive. Take Trubisky, for example: he only played a handful of college games, and suddenly he’s a first round talent? The talent in this year’s draft is definitely stacked toward the defensive end.

The projected No. 1 pick is defensive end Myles Garrett. Garrett has the size and speed to be a transcendent talent, however the attributes haven’t always show up on tape. I think hype will play a large factor in the Cleveland Brown’s first-pick decision, whether they pick Garrett or Trubisky. However, I would not fault the Browns for taking Garrett. A message to the Browns: take Garrett No. 1 and hope to get Watson at No. 12. From picks two to 11, there doesn’t appear to be a team that would gamble and pick a quarterback that high.

The Jets can’t afford to pick a quarterback, as it would upset their fan base. The Bears have moved away from former QB Jay Cutler, yet they did pay big money to obtain Mike Glennon in free agency. Glennon is a below average talent, but the Bears gave him a three-year, $45 million contract. Perhaps the Jaguars will pick one, though I think they’re willing to give Blake Bortles one more year to progress. Many organizations may even choose to wait for next year’s draft, which is likely have much better quarterback options, including the two promising Los Angeles quarterbacks, University of Southern California’s Sam Darnold and University of California, Los Angeles Josh Rosen.

There is a lot of depth at the defensive lineman and cornerback positions, including talents like CB Marshon Lattimore, DE Solomon Thomas, and DE Jonathan Allen. There are also players that can change a team on day one: safety Jamal Adams, tight end OJ Howard, and linebacker Reuben Foster.

My top five picks go as such: Garrett (Browns,) Thomas (49ers,) Lattimore (Bears,) running back Leonard Fournette (Jaguars,) and wide receiver Mike Williams (Titans.) That would be three defensive players and a running back in the top five, a group that is typically dominated by QBs.

As for the local team, I can see the Baltimore Ravens taking WR Corey Davis from Western Michigan. Davis is a big-bodied receiver who can out-leap anyone and has breakaway speed, two attributes that work well with quarterback Joe Flacco.

With all the talent at all positions besides quarterback, this draft may be the best in years. It is definitely a draft filled with athleticism, talent, and firepower.

Other picks of interest include:

Cleveland (#1): DE Myles Garrett

NY Jets (#6): Safety Jamal Adams

Cleveland Browns (#12): QB Deshaun Watson

Indianapolis Colts (#15): LB Haason Reddick

Baltimore Ravens (#17): WR Corey Davis

Washington Redskins (#18): OG Forrest Lamp

NY Giants (#23): TE David Njoku

Pittsburgh Steelers (#30): CB Marlon Humphrey

New England Patriots: No 1st-round selection