Kevin Durant returns to play Oklahoma City

Photo courtesy of Rocor via Flickr.com

The night of Saturday, Feb. 11 was the first time small forward Kevin Durant played in Oklahoma City not wearing a Thunder jersey. As a matter of fact, the last time he was in the Chesapeake Energy Arena was Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals last May. It was in that game that the Thunder squandered a fourth quarter lead, and the Warriors forced game 7. The rest is history, as the Thunder lost Game 7 in Golden State. Shortly after, Durant would leave OKC for Golden State and define the term “If you can’t beat them, join them!”

The tension, not only between Durant’s former star teammate point guard Russell Westbrook but also with OKC fans was evident. Fans wore “KowarD” shirts, chanted “Cupcake,” and booed the man who formerly was the savior of OKC.

Every time KD touched the ball he was deafeningly booed.

Durant and his new Warriors teammates are leaps and bounds ahead of the Thunder in regards to talent. The only player that stands between the talent disparities is Westbrook, who has been embraced as OKC’s lovable and loyal phenom.

The outcome of the game was known before the tip-off, as the Warriors’ offense was too much to handle on paper. Beyond the outcome, people around the world wanted to see how Durant would fair in his old city, a city that he gave him nine seasons, tons of points, an MVP trophy, and consistent success.

So how fair is it that in his first trip back he gets booed? Well, considering how recent the move was, in addition to the particular team Durant chose, it gives OKC fans the right. It stings seeing Durant in a different jersey, especially a Warriors one.

Besides the fans, the players team a chippy game. Durant started off slow, looking seemingly human and nervous. As the game progressed, Durant found his form and eventually did his work. He finished with 34 points and nine rebounds. An impressive stat line, but it didn’t come easy.

In the third quarter, as the Thunder were attempting a comeback, Durant and Westbrook exchanged words for the first time since they were teammates. In a sense of poetic justice, Westbrook was heard shouting at KD “I’m coming, I’m coming, and I’m going to keep coming.” The perfect phrase that defines Westbrook’s play: ruthless, full steam ahead, and never ending.

In the loss, Westbrook ended up scoring 47 points, 11 rebounds, and eight assists. This Thunder roster just doesn’t have enough offensive weapons to keep up with Golden State.

Then after a hard foul by Durant’s replacement Andre Roberson, Durant took exception and got into a verbal exchange with Roberson. As KD chirped, Roberson didn’t back down and went face to face with Durant, showing Oklahoma City that Durant is neither feared nor liked. Center Enes Kanter, who is injured with a fractured forearm, also chirped at Durant during a timeout. Kanter and Durant have had bad blood since KD left Oklahoma City.

When Durant returns one more time on March 20, Kanter should be back playing. If so, the Thunder will have their entire team to go after the Warriors, and to try and settle the score with Durant by coming out victorious.