Michelle Williams Talks With ‘ELLE’ About Living in the Public Eye

kmaro_vip Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Talented “Manchester by the Sea” actress Michelle Williams is the face of ELLE’s new January issue. The magazine hit stores on Dec. 13 and featured a cover story article about Williams’ trouble with living in the public eye. ELLE’s website issued a snippet of her cover story interview where she talked about not always feeling like she’s living an authentic life, setting boundaries for herself, and her new role in the newly released drama film

David Shankbone Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Williams began by addressing her difficulty balancing stardom with normal life. She explained, “If you feel like people are watching you, it’s impossible to have an authentic experience of being alive.” She continued by explaining that it’s hard to go from being open when performing on camera and then being guarded when walking around in everyday life.

An Entertainment Tonight article about the ELLE interview explains that Williams is raising her 11-year-old daughter, Matilda Ledger, who she had with the late Heath Ledger. Having Matilda in the spotlight is a main concern for Williams.

“I don’t know how to live like that, and I don’t know how to give a life to my child like that.” Williams has only recently started doing interviews again. After Heath Ledger’s death, she and her daughter were bombarded by the paparazzi, making her even more cautious. Williams is worried that her daughter might not be able to genuinely grow up and find herself because of the constant spotlight that is on them.

In the ELLE interview, Williams also explained that she’s learning how to set limits on her openness. Although she is cautious with her daughter, she is a very open person herself and has had to adjust and discover how not to keep some things private. “I’m like, ‘Open up all the doors and the windows and let everybody in.’ It’s been a really, really long time since I’ve been in an interview. I feel less susceptible to emotional wreck-diving to come up with explanations for everything.”

kmaro_vip Photo, Courtesy of Flickr
kmaro_vip Photo, Courtesy of Flickr

Williams has just started getting used to being in interviews again because of her upcoming role in the new movie “Manchester by the Sea.” According to E! Online, Williams stars as Randi, the ex-wife of Lee Chandler (played by Casey Affleck). Chandler is appointed to take care of his teenage nephew after his brother back home suddenly dies from a heart attack.

Chandler had left his hometown previously after a house fire that killed his kids and left him feeling broken alongside his then wife, Randi. But the tragedy created a wedge between the couple, and they eventually broke up and he left town. Williams has a significant role alongside Casey Affleck, as his character works through the recent tragedy and the emotions that surface from being around Randi again.

In her “ELLE” cover story, Williams proclaims that she felt incredibly creative and open when filming “Manchester by the Sea.” “When I went to make [Manchester by the Sea], I felt a little bit more freedom, more access inside of myself,” she said. Williams continues to discuss her role in the film and more about her relationship with Heath Ledger in the ELLE issue that is in stores now.

Feature Image