2016 NFC East Preview

Photo courtesy of the Pennsylvania National Guard via Flickr.com

This division is always filled with controversy, injuries, and unpredictability. Whether it’s the Cowboys Greg Hardy or injured Tony Romo, once again, this division has its fair share of problems. Last year, the unpredictability stayed true as the Redskins won the division after benching starting quarterback Robert Griffin III. Nevertheless, the division is always interesting, playing in tough head to head matchups. One thing is for sure, the Redskins won’t win the division this year.

1. New York Giants– This is a not a typo. The new look Giants have added a lot of star power to their defense, which was horrendous last year. New players such as Oliver Vernon, Janoris Jenkins, and Damon “Snacks” Harrison may be the push the G-men need to take the division crown. The dynamic duo of Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. gives New York the ability to score a lot of points. With victor Cruz returning and rookie Sterling Shepard, Eli has a lot to play with in a weak defensive division.

Key Acquisitions: Janoris Jenkins, Damon Harrison, Sterling Shepard (Draft)

Key Departures: Prince Amukamara, Robert Ayers, Rueben Randle

Prediction: 11-5

2. Dallas Cowboys– The only reason I have the Boys not winning the division is due to the uncertainty of rookie starting quarterback Dak Prescott. With Tony Romo hurt again with a bad back, Prescott is the starter for 6-10 weeks. Though he looks good in the preseason, you have to take that with a grain of salt. The Cowboys offense is one of the best when healthy; comprising of a great offensive line, WR Dez Bryant, and rookie sensation Ezekiel Elliot. The defense on the other hand needs a lot of help, which is why the loss of Romo clearly sets them back.

Key Acquisitions: Alfred Morris, Ezekiel Elliot (Draft)

Key Departures: Tony Romo (injured 6-10 weeks, will return)

Prediction: 10-6

3. Washington Redskins: Yes the Redskins won the division last year, but with the focus and pressure on them this year, I expect them to crumble. Kirk Cousins is a solid passer and his leadership is well respected. Yet, the Skins won’t win many in-division games, which will hurt them in the long run. The addition of cornerback Josh Norman is helpful, however the defense in its entirety in not that impressive. Opposing defenses know what to expect this year, putting a stop to their magical run last year. The unbalanced attack of a solid passing game might get buried by their weak run game. Something about head coach Jay Gruden says that the Skins lose their heart on the field.

Key Acquisitions: Josh Norman, Junior Galette, Greg Toler, Josh Doctor (Draft)

Key Departures: Robert Griffin III, Alfred Morris

Prediction: 7-9

4. Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles are all sorts of confused. They drafted quarterback Carson Wentz second overall. Yet, they were adamant on starting Sam Bradford, who just recently was traded to the Vikings. So now the Eagles are without an announced starting quarterback. The entire team is a make shift of aging veterans, few players in their prime, and young talent. With the loss of head coach Chip Kelly, who is now coaching in San Francisco, the Eagles look to have a long year ahead of them under first year coach Doug Pederson. The offense will struggle and their defense couldn’t stop a runny nose. Lots of losses should be expected in Philly, which is nothing new.

Key Acquisitions: Dorial Green-Beckham, Chase Daniel, Carson Wentz (Draft)

Key Departures: Demeco Ryans, Demarco Murray, Riley Cooper, Kiko Alonso

Prediction: 4-12