Loyola Men’s Lacrosse Wins Patriot League

Even though Army started the game perfectly by scoring within the first 10 seconds, Loyola established themselves as top dogs (no pun intended) of the Patriot League, winning the Patriot Tournament by the final score of 14-6.

Army had previously beaten No. 1 seed Navy in the semi-finals while No. 2 Loyola beat No. 3 Bucknell.

The game began as a relatively even matchup, but Loyola’s offense was at times too much for the sloppy Army defense and freshman goalie AJ Barretto. In the first half, Loyola used its offensive movements to confuse the Army defense to the point where Loyola was getting clear, open shots on net. Loyola’s shots were mostly snipes from mid-range that were buried into the net. Barretto had no answer:— Loyola’s shots at first were beating him low, then he got beat high consistently.

Twice in the game, Army had a two-man advantage sequence. Both times they were able to convert, but luckily, Loyola’s defense held strong during normal 5 v. 5 action.

At the start of the second half, Loyola began to dominate. Loyola scored the half’s first four goals before Army answered with 7:53 left in the third quarter. Loyola continued to maintain solid control over the game, making it seem as if Army had no chance of winning once Loyola’s 4-0 run started.
continued his torment on the Patriot League , scoring five goals and contributing five assists. News flash: this freshman is really good.  Loyola’s midfielder Brian Sherlock also contributed four assists, and forwards Zach Herreweyers and Tyler Albrecht each had two goals for the Greyhounds.

Loyola awaits the NCAA’s announcement of the 2016 men’s lacrosse tournament field.  Loyola automatically receives a bid into the tournament by winning the Patriot League.