Jasmine Rand speaks at Peace and Justice lecture

On Feb. 4, Jasmine Rand, attorney for Trayvon Martin’s family, visited Loyola’s Evergreen Campus to speak to students on an array of topics concerning both herself and civil justice. Her most famous trial centered around Trayvon Martin, whose death captured the nation’s attention in 2013. Rand is not only an attorney but also a legal analyst, active professor and equal rights activist. She has been featured on CNN, MSNBC and Fox, and has also received many rewards for her dedication to justice.

Attendees were given a personal description of Rand’s low socioeconomic status throughout her childhood, and with the belief that “you must have a conscious recognition of fear to be courageous,” Rand told audiences about her efforts to never let failure get in the way of her visions. With much of her life dedicated to the fight for equal rights, Rand encouraged attendees to “give yourself in service to your profession.” In Rand’s view, a humble dedication is the strongest weapon.

Rand also spoke about “I am” language – a concept that is at the heart of her dedication to equal rights. “I am” language is the recognition that a piece of God (or your own self) can be found within each and every individual. This concept was made a reality when Rand’s students at the time created a video called “I am Trayvon Martin.” The video went viral and now stands as a representation of the fight for equal rights in modern America.

To conclude her visit to Loyola, Rand offered a message of hope to all activists of equal rights. As an active attorney, Rand stated that social justice movements “have the power to sway the legal system.” Rand encouraged all social change activists in stressing the point that their voices can in fact be heard. Rand assured the audience once more that with a dedicated and relentless pursuit, positive social change is achievable.

Image from Flickr CreativeCommons: Tracie Hall.