NYFW Embraced All Types of Models

The stunning Madeline Stuart is an 18-year-old model that walked in New York Fashion Week on September 13. She owned the runway with her confidence and stellar poise, but she’s slightly different from the many typical models that usually walk in NYFW. Madeline has Down syndrome and a leaky heart valve, but she’s not letting her physical issues hinder her passion to model. She walked in FTL Moda’s showcase, who first announced Madeline’s participation on their Facebook page where they exclaimed how excited they were for Madeline to be walking in their show and that her presence would uplift the entire event.

Untitled2E! Online reported that one of her runway outfits consisted of a multi-colored halter-top with purple hot pants and a statement t-shirt that said “I Am NYFW.” This bold statement got a fantastically positive response from the audience, as they cheered Madeline and other models on for their fierceness.

FTL Moda showcased six international designers and collections at this year’s show, in which the theme was “Fashion Free from Confines.” In addition to Madeline, the agency worked with several models with different types of disabilities . Madeline spoke to the New York Daily News after her runway debut and told the paper how much she enjoyed walking the runway. “It was fun,” she said and added, “I feel good!”

Madeline and the other models who walked down the runway broke down the stereotypes and confines typically associated with fashion shows. They not only made a great impact within their communities, but their actions sergallery-1439483760-maddy2ve as a reminder to everyone that all people deserve the opportunity to achieve what they love and aspire to do.

Earlier this year Jamie Brewer, an actress from the television show “American Horror Story,” became the first woman with Down syndrome to walk in NYFW. This has set the tone for future fashion shows and has started to create equal opportunities for people with disabilities. These people shouldn’t be denied the right to shine their light and spread their talents with the world because of what others think hinders them.