Alumni Spotlights: Wedding Savvy, Inc. owner Raquel Shutt speaks out

HELLO Fellow Greyhounds!

My name is Raquel Shutt, and I am proud to call myself a Loyola Alum and owner of a successful wedding planning company, Wedding Savvy, Inc.  I graduated in 2003 with my MBA.  I would like to note that I was five months pregnant with my third child and had 11- month -old twin boys at home at the time.  And in addition to all of this, I missed my graduation ceremony because I had to work my first full service wedding on that day!

I bring up these points because I am a strong believer in “MSH” ….Make “Stuff” happen.   There is always a reason to say “I can’t because” or “I could have but” but there is only one reason to keep moving forward …it’s because THAT is what matters.

I received my undergraduate degree from Frostburg State University in 1999.  Upon graduating, I got a job as a Marketing Manager for a local Fast Food Franchisee in Frederick, Maryland and oversaw the marketing for 15 Roy Rogers Restaurants (yes, I did get free Roast Beef sandwiches during my tenure there…a definite perk!).  I enjoyed learning some best practices from industry experts as well as working under some fantastic mentors.

I got married in 2001 and relocated to Annapolis, Maryland to be closer to my husband.  I searched for a Marketing career but could not find an advertising agency that was hiring I did, however, find a job at a local hotel that was hiring for a Wedding Coordinator.This was not my dream job or an intended career path, but I saw an opportunity to grow with a company and I was willing to work hard to see what opportunities could develop.  During my time in this position, I had the opportunity to work with outside private wedding planners and I saw the need for a more professional, client focused planner.  I was working on my MBA concurrently and decided to put together a business plan for a Wedding Consulting Company.  Upon encouragement of my professors, I took the leap of faith and opened Wedding Savvy, Inc.

What an extraordinary journey it has been!  Wedding Savvy is now a National Event Planning Company headquartered in Annapolis, MD with an office in Charlotte, NC and growing annually.

What I wish to convey to the Loyola population is that there is no substitute for hard work.  You are not entitled to anything, and solid business acumen and etiquette will get you further than any perceived experience or bright idea (but those things could open the door for you to come in).  Please come and see me speak at Prof. Trump’s Marketing class, Consumer Behavior, at 8 or 9:25a.m. on Sept. 17 to learn the exact tools I’m talking about.  I share my knowledge with you as a great mentor once shared with me!  Please email me at [email protected] if you plan on attending so we can make sure there is a seat for you.

I wish you continued success in your budding career.  Your possibilities are endless, and are only limited by your own mind.  If you believe in yourself, are willing to work hard, and “MSH” — you are golden.  I believe in you – go make it happen!

Follow us on Pinterest and  Instagram

Tweet us on Twitter

Like our Facebook page