Tsarnaev sentencing: opportunity for justice

On April 15, 2013, the lives of all Bostonians as well as Americans changed dramatically. This was Patriots day, the day normally filled with celebration. The Boston Marathon is well known around the world and is always a busy event, lasting most of the day. The marathon in 2013 was much different however when the Tsarnaev brothers set off bombs around the finish line of the marathon. Immediately, the atmosphere in the city changed. The police officers and fire fighters switched to safety mode quickly and did a great job trying to fix the terrible situation. One of the brothers, Tamerlan Anzorovich Tsarnaev, was killed in the chase. The other brother, Dzhokhar Anzorovich Tsarnaev, got away and made capturing him quite difficult. Many cities and towns surrounding Boston had to go on lockdown and people were not allowed to leave their houses. I lived in Boston at the time and experienced the extremely frightening hours that followed this event.

As the police did what they could to find him, everyone in the state of Massachusetts was watching the news. Terrorism in Boston, this was not something we were expecting. When they finally did catch him, a small amount of relief came over everyone in the area. However, this was not the end. The trial would take place soon, and it was not going to be an easy one.

Two years later the jury finds Dzhokar guilty on all thirty charges that were placed against him. His punishment is yet to be decided, and soon the sentencing phase will begin. They are going to determine whether or not he is deserving of life in prison or the death penalty. Which is correct? This long lived debate will never be agreed upon by all, however both sides have strong pros and cons. The death penalty allows for him to lose his life like those he killed with his actions. However, then he is gone and does not suffer like all of those he paralyzed and severely injured. Life in prison would keep him alive, thinking about what he had done and how much hurt he brought into the lives of Bostonians and people all across the country.

No matter which way the jury leans, I believe Dzhokar will receive the punishment he deserves. Although I do live in Massachusetts, my family and friends remained safe throughout this terrible event. I cannot say I understand how the families of the victims are feeling, but I can only imagine the terrible hatred running through their veins for these two brothers who changed the city of Boston forever. Although the bombing was terrible, the people of this city came together and became one. It should not take something terrible to do this, and that needs to change, but at least now the citizens of my home town can call themselves Boston Strong. To the jury: bring peace to these innocent victims and their loved ones.