Devastation in Nepal

Chaotic, winding, dirt roads filled with pedestrians, motorcycles and cows; every shop door decorated with marigolds; lines of brightly colored prayer flags connecting every building; an atmosphere of incense and spices; and the ever present loom of the Himalayas in the background. This is the Nepal I remember.

Today, however, the streets of Kathmandu remain torn apart from the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit the country on Saturday, April 25. The death toll has neared 4,000 and another 7,000 have been injured, according to CNN. People continue to dig through the ruble by hand while doctors perform surgeries in makeshift hospitals. Revered, centuries-old Hindu monuments and temples in ruins.

The earthquake triggered an avalanche on Mount Everest striking base camp and killing at least 17. Climbers who were higher up managed to avoid the avalanche, but hundreds remain stranded, unable to descend because of aftershocks. There is growing concern for those stuck at 20,000 feet because of reduced oxygen levels the human body cannot survive at such a high altitude for very long.

Today rescue attempts are under way for survivors, even though the odds continue to slip. Aid and supplies are being rushed to Nepal from countries all over the world. However, the rough and difficult terrain will make it challenging to get it to those in remote areas. It is estimated that it could take years and billions of dollars for Nepal to repair all the damages.

While I was abroad last semester, I was lucky enough to spend 10 days in Nepal. I was astounded by its beautiful landscapes and ancient architecture. But what struck me the most was the genuine kindness that was shown to me by the Nepali people. It is noticeable immediately, everywhere you go, as people greet each other with their hands in front of their hearts saying, Namaste, meaning the light within me acknowledges the light within you. This reflects how the Nepali live, always with a great respect for all the life around them.

I was devastated to hear of the destruction in a country that will always have a piece of my heart. To donate to the relief effort please go to: https://www.redcross.org/combined-donate?donationProdId=prod9150029&retrieveData=1&flow=oc1&scode=RSG00000E020&gclid=CjwKEAjwvPepBRCoqo37teOD1XsSJAC7v6WQWJA9cVz9UjvfIFj0r7YhsflNpJcSutcnSB0_-Gz-OhoC5zzw_wcB