‘Stories in Solidarity’ project makes race and ethnicity conversations personal

Felisa+Velasco+%282015%29+poses+with+some+of+her+photos.+Picture+originally+from+the+Humans+of+Loyola+Facebook+page.+
Felisa Velasco (2015) poses with some of her photos. Picture originally from the ‘Humans of Loyola’ Facebook page.

These past few months following the tragic deaths of Michael Brown, Eric Garner and Walter Scott have been filled with conversations about race and ethnicity. Throughout the country, actors, writers, politicians and other great leaders have spoken out about the injustice surrounding people of color. In light of this, Felïsa Velasco, Class of 2015, decided to create a photography project to reveal the personal experiences of Loyola University Maryland students regarding these topics.

On Tuesday, April 21, Velasco displayed these powerful photographs, featuring Loyola students holding up signs that reflect their experiences, at the “Stories in Solidarity” panel. The panelists, each sitting next to his or her respective photo, answered questions about their impressions of the race and ethnicity conversation on campus, how they chose their quote for their signs and the importance of this project.

When speaking about her picture, Cherry Abdou, Class of 2015, discussed her experience as a young Muslim woman growing up in America and living on Loyola’s campus. “I am more than happy to talk about myself and my experiences if someone asks. But if someone is ignorant, I just ignore it.” Abdou also mentioned that her quote, “I am NOT a TERRORIST”, signifies her desire to “[break] stereotypes” that live in our society.

Christina Patron, Class of 2015, also spoke about the harmful stereotypes that she and her friend, Theda Tann, encounter all the time. In their picture, they hold a sign that says, “I’m not Chris, I’m not Theda” to reference how each of them are mistaken for the other, simply because they are both young Asian women. “Micro-aggressions are hurtful”, she says, emphasizing that just because someone looks like her, doesn’t mean that the two identities are the same. Tann continued by saying that if she is at the mall with her other Asian friends, people will come up to her and ask if they are all related, even though she is sure that wouldn’t happen to a group of white friends.

When asked about any doubts she might have had when creating this project, Velasco said, “I didn’t think about the doubts…just [everyone] that could benefit [from it].”

Sean Bray, director of Campus Ministry, commented that this project has really benefited the students and facility of Loyola and “changed [how] the conversation [will be carried] next year.”

“Stories in Solidarity” will continue as a three-day event this week, surrounding the idea of “diversitude” (diversity and attitude). On Wednesday, April 22, there will be a “Check Your Privilege” table set up on the Quad where students can learn more about the different privileges people carry with them, and those that are not as privileged.

“Stories in Solidarity” is sponsored by ALANA Services, Campus Ministry, the Center for Community Service and Justice and Academic Affairs.

Cherry Abdou (2015) explaining her experiences as a young Muslim woman  on Loyola’s campus.  On the right is her picture for the project. It says, “I am NOT a TERRORIST.”
Cherry Abdou (2015) explaining her experiences as a young Muslim woman
on Loyola’s campus.
On the right is her picture for the project. It says, “I am NOT a TERRORIST.”
Alexis Garrett (2015) posing with her picture for the project.  Her sign says, “Ethnicity is important and deserves to be talked about NOT ignored.”
Alexis Garrett (2015) posing with her picture for the project.
Her sign says, “Ethnicity is important and deserves to be talked about
NOT ignored.”