“Wilder Mind,” can you believe it?

Mumford and Sons, a British folk rock band, will be releasing their third studio album, Wilder Mind, on May 4, 2015. The band consists of Marcus Mumford (lead vocals, guitar, drums), Ted Dwane (vocals, acoustic bass, electric bass), Ben Lovett (vocals, piano, keyboard, synth), and Winston Marshall (vocals, guitar, banjo). The new album will have 12 songs, which are currently available to view on iTunes. The first single of the album is entitled “Believe.”

“Believe” opens with a mystical sound strings harmonizing together. Vocals begin with a low melody. The song begins to build as piano and light guitar fade in halfway through the verse. As the chorus begins, the vocals become doubled but not harmonized. Verse two consists of the same sound, soft and relaxed, mysterious, and with a straight rhythm from the guitar and piano. The second chorus has a subtle vocal harmony like a classic Mumford song. Both choruses end with lengthy vocal holds where he sings a low note and transitions into a higher note without stopping. After the second chorus, a rough and gritty distorted guitar enters with a punch and screaming note. The solo lasts for only a few moments, but it completely changes the sound of the song. Drums enter loud and proud with a tasteful and refreshingly different drumbeat, which focuses on a melody played on the toms of the set. Verse three is rougher and more aggressive. The lyrics reflect the change in sound and tone. Prior to verse 3, he sings about how he doesn’t believe everything his inferred lover is saying, how the relationship won’t work out, and if he even wants to believe her. The mood is the contemplative voice inside one’s head, a soft, low volume depressed sound with a hint of confusion and a touch of inspiration and hope. Verse three and on has aggressive lines, such as “Say something, say something like you love me unless you want to move away from the noise of this place.” The mood is louder, with higher notes, more emotion and grit. A screaming guitar harmonizes with the vocal lines during the chorus. The song ends with a sudden cut out of drums, piano, and guitar, and left with a subtle mysterious strings effect like in the beginning of the song.

Much like their previous albums, Wilder Mind is expected to be a successful album, full of all the reasons why fans love Mumford and Sons, such as the vocal harmonies, the catchy chord progressions, and the memorable lyrics about hope and relatable life struggles. Until May, it will be anxiously awaited.

Image courtesy of: Flickr.com / Effervescing Elephant