Cross Country competes in Mid-Atlantic Regionals

The Loyola men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals on Friday afternoon, where the women finished 20th and the men placed 22nd.

Junior Erica Canas led the way for the Greyhounds, finishing 101st, followed by sophomore Chris Regan, who was 106th.

Canas, finished with a time of 22:39, making her Loyola’s top finisher for the fourth consecutive meet.

Senior Kelly Maguire finished second for the Greyhounds, placing 108th in 22:49.

Senior Anna Bosse finished in 23:06, taking 114th out of 207 competitors.

Sarah Askine took 116th with a time of 23:07 and Kendyl Fahmy was 157th with a time of 24:01 as the final two female Greyhounds to contribute to the team total.

The Greyhounds totaled 596 points, besting Patriot League-foe Lafayette, which finished in fourth place.

Georgetown won the women’s race, compiling 38 points. West Virginia (42 points) and Princeton (125) rounded out the top-three teams.

Led by Regan’s finish in 32:59, five underclassmen totaled points for Loyola’s men’s team, Regan’s time was the fifth-fastest in 10k program history.

Freshman Alexander Safadi finished 122nd, crossing the finish line in 33:36.

Kevin Montgomery (137th, 34:08), Michael Michon (143rd, 34:51) and Zachary Nerenberg (149th, 35:37) were the final three Greyhounds to round out the scoring effort.

Villanova (41), Georgetown (74) and Penn State (87) finished first through third, respectively.

The Greyhounds totaled 657 points, finishing ahead of Seton Hall (689).