Thompson’s goal lifts men’s soccer over Colgate, 1-0

Senior forward Connor Thompson scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 55th minute against Colgate University to give the Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team its first Patriot League victory of the season Saturday at Ridley Athletic Complex.
The Greyhounds (4-3-2, 1-1) impressed, as they were able to slow down the Raiders’ top offensive player, Ethan Cutler. Cutler has scored 10 of Colgate’s 12 goals this season and is second in the nation in goals.
The 1-0 win improved Loyola to 3-0 at home this season.
The Greyhounds played solid defense throughout the game. Sophomore goalkeeper Matt Sanchez turned back four shots and posted his fourth shutout of the year. His first save of the game was a spectacular stop in the 32nd minute. Sanchez was able to make the leaping save to keep a shot toward the top left corner of the goal from getting past him.
On the other side of the ball, Loyola’s offense was slowed down a bit by the Raiders’ defense but the Hounds came out fighting in the second half. After only taking one shot in the entire first half, Loyola took four in the second half.
The shot that proved to be enough to win the game was Thompson’s 20-yard free kick past a Colgate wall nine minutes into the second half. Thompson’s second goal of the season snuck inside the near post and was enough to change the momentum of the match.
The Raiders (4-4-1, 1-1) seemed burnt out after that, and the Greyhounds seemed to have been energized by the goal. Prior to Thompson’s goal, Colgate had only allowed three second-half goals all season.
Loyola attempted to extend its lead in the 58th minute when sophomore David Warburton found senior Joey Wilkins wide open on the right wing. Wilkins set up a shot for sophomore Laurin Vogel, but Vogel’s header went just over the crossbar.
Another chance for the Greyhounds to get their second goal of the game came in the 76th minute when sophomore Dylan Engel’s 11-yard kick missed wide right. Loyola’s tremendous second half effort on both sides of the ball gave head coach Steve Nichols his first conference victory.
The Greyhounds are in a solid position to make a run for a top spot in the Patriot League standings. Loyola is currently tied with American University and Holy Cross for third place (1-1-0, 3 points each). Hoping to remain undefeated at home and move up in the Patriot League standings, the Greyhounds will host Bucknell University on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. contest.