Ravens cut Ray Rice following release of TMZ video

The Baltimore Ravens have terminated the contract of 27-year-old running back Ray Rice after additional footage was released by TMZ of the former Pro Bowler striking his now-wife, Janay Palmer, twice in the face in an Atlantic City casino elevator, knocking her unconscious.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who had previously handed Rice a mere two-game suspension after personally meeting with Rice and Palmer, has now suspended Rice indefinitely.
The NFL claims it had never seen the video before TMZ released it early Monday morning. The only footage that had previously been released to the public was of Rice dragging an unconscious Palmer out of the elevator. It was not until Monday that footage of the actual assault was released.
The incident, which took place nearly seven months ago on February 15, led to the arrests of both Rice and Palmer. Rice issued a public apology months after the arrest, and also spoke publicly after his initial two-game suspension was handed down in July. Palmer had even apologized for her role in the altercation.
Goodell and the NFL received harsh criticism for the light penalty given to Rice, leading to a change in the penalty for domestic violence in future cases. After admitting he was wrong in only giving Rice a two-game slap on the wrist, Goodell announced that going forward, a six-game suspension would be handed down for first-time offenders, followed by a lifetime ban for second-time offenders.
Criticism against the NFL is rapidly picking up yet again, as many people are wondering why the NFL was unable to get a copy of the video before TMZ released it. Sports Illustrated reporter Peter King wrote in July that the NFL had seen the video before announcing the original two-game suspension, which contradicts the league’s claims that Monday was the first day they had seen it.
The NFL and the Ravens will certainly have a lot of questions to answer in the coming months, and this is unlikely to go away anytime soon.
Rice had been entering his seventh season with the Ravens, and finishes his Ravens career with 6,180 rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns, both good for second all-time in franchise history.