The Greysounds prove themselves on stage

On April 11, the Greysounds held their concert in McManus Theatre at 7 p.m. The Greysounds are one of my favorite on-campus groups to review for a variety of different reasons. Not only do the personalities of each member shine, but the songs are all current with a unique twist. As a co-ed acapella group, the Greysounds have an advantage of combining voice and sound effects to create advanced musical techniques with each song.

The concert began with a video montage of clips and pictures made by one of the Greysounds members, which showcased some background information about the club, with sneak peeks inside of their practices to the comedic members fooling around during breaks. This was a great idea that made the audience feel more prepared in knowing more about the club.

The first song was a version of Vanessa Carlton’s “One Thousand Miles.” The beat boxing was on cue, and the strong vocals were led by music director, Lauren Currenti. Following the opening song was fan favorite, Brandon Newby, who sang One Republic’s “Counting Stars.” For those who went to the Greysounds “sneak peek” at Relay For Life, you were probably already blown away by the vocal range in Brandon’s voice. Next, graduating seniors Chris Salvatore and Kevin Wolkoff sang their “senior song” together, where they encouraged the audience to clap along.

The next few songs displayed an array of beat boxing and different musical sounds that created the background melodies to “Take Me the Way I Am,” and a mash up with Gym Class Heroes hit, “Stereo Hearts.” One of my favorites was the duet of “Say Something” by seniors Chris and Libby Dysart, which soon transformed into Jason Mraz’s “I Won’t Give Up On Us.” Emily Neidle wowed the audience with her strong vocals, along with Mark Woodall and the entire group of talented guys and girls, who individually showcased their talents in different ways.

Next up was a complex version of “I’m Yours” with the background tune of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” President Becky Scullin got the audience emotionally involved with her version of Katy Perry’s “Unconditionally.” Before the last song, flowers were given to the two seniors, along with President Becky and music director, LaurenTheir last song was an Ode to the Minions with the Beach Boy’s classic, “Barbara Ann.”

Overall, the concert was a ton of fun and the group provided the audience with energy and vocal talent that was not to be missed. I look forward to seeing what else The Greysounds have in store for us!